Created by Maurice Hennessy in 1870 for his circle of friends, X.O introduced a new style of Cognac without comparison. Hennessy X.O is the Original, the emblematic icon of the House.
Deep and powerful, the eaux-de-vie of Hennessy X.O are aged in young barrels and marked out by their power and energy, but also by their capacity to achieve a great roundness through time.
Our Tasting Committee has explored every facet of the blend and they have identified several emotions that they have assimilated to an Odyssey through 7 chapters:
• Sweet Notes: The palate is warmly embraced by flavours of candied fruits
• Rising Heat: The intriguing sensation of an intense, rising heat slowly reveals the complex taste of eaux-de-vie that have patiently aged in oak barrels.
• Spicy Edge: Perception of a strong spicy note. It tantalises the lips and palate with its distinct peppery flavour intertwined with a hint of chocolate.
• Flowing Flame: A wave of warmth grows, crests and then breaks. A robust presence, full and voluptuous, is felt.
• Chocolate Lull: There is the gradual discovery of something very familiar. It is the well-rounded flavour of a rich, dark chocolate.
• Wood Crunches: A striking sensation is suddenly felt – the vigorous ebb and flow of oak notes interlaced with vanilla.
• Infinite Echo: The evanescent oak notes leave a long, omnipresent finish in their wake. Seemingly endless, it echoes all of the subtleties of each taste and sensation that has preceded it.
About the product production:
Cognac can only be made in the Cognac region in South West France. Cognac is made out of wine, the primary varietal being white Ugni Blanc.
The region’s clayey and chalky soils sa well as a temperate climate are making the wines especially adapated for distillation. Hennessy uses four central crus selected from the best wine growers in the Central Region: Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Borderies, Fin Bois.
After being distilled twice in copper stills, the spirits are preserved in French oak barrels. Then, each Hennessy cognac is blended based on a specific composition of eaux-de-vie which are selected for their aroma, age, and character. Hennessy Comité de Dégustation led by Master Blender Renaud Fillioux de Gironde (8th generation) embodies this Savoir-Faire passed on for 250 years.
About the brand:
From its seat in the French region of Cognac since 1765 and throughout its more than 250-year history, Hennessy has proudly perpetuated an exceptional heritage based on adventure, discovery and cultivating the best that nature and man can offer. Hennessy’s longevity and success across five continents reflect the values the Maison has upheld since its creation: the transmission of a unique savoir-faire, the constant quest for innovation, and an unwavering commitment to Creation, Excellence, Legacy, and Sustainable Development. Today, these qualities are the hallmark of a House – a crown jewel in the LVMH Group – that crafts some of the most iconic, prestigious cognacs in the world.